BEACH HUTS

BEACH HUTS

Man-Made / ID: M075

Lower Lighthouse - Isle of Portland - Dorset - United Kingdom

 

The lower lighthouse was opened on 29th September 1716 but was rebuilt several times during which the coal fire was replaced as the first lighthouse lamp with an Argand Lens. The lighthouse was a family home in about the 1920s. In 1961 the lower lighthouse was opened as a bird observatory.